Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I am not good at reading sheet music, or piano by ear, but I can just sit down and play a melody?

Like I said, I am not very good at reading sheet music. It takes me forever to dissect it and figure it out..usually incorrectly. I can also find a melody by ear, but I'm not really good at finding the chords to accompany it. Yet, I can sit at the piano, and not even be looking at my fingers, and I can just hit random notes, and chords, and just basically..create a song that sounds good. No clashing notes or anything. I don't get it. =/ How can I just sit there and like, create decent sounding music, but not be able to sit there and read sheet music or play a song by ear with ease?I am not good at reading sheet music, or piano by ear, but I can just sit down and play a melody?
It is possible to create some pleasant music without any musical knowledge but you will be forever limited to not knowing why it is that what you created sounds good together. Consider it a natural ability that you have, and a good reason to do some music theory studying so that you can unleash potential that you didn't know you had.I am not good at reading sheet music, or piano by ear, but I can just sit down and play a melody?
You have unlock the secrets of piano improvisation!


Learning piano playing is like learning a language - one can learn to speak without learning how to read. Music reading takes time and practice.





A good pianist knows both skills. Sight reading and improvisation.

No comments:

Post a Comment